Monday, September 24, 2012

Pumpkin Cookies with Chocolate

It is time to break out the Pampered Chef stone. ::sigh:: How I've missed you...

Along with the wonderful holiday season comes overly rich foods that can pack on the pounds... and I LOVE to bake. This poses a huge problem. Pun intended. I follow a blog called Skinnytaste. She has a ton of recipes that are lower in fat etc. Today I decided to try making her Pumpkin Spice Cookies. I had to alter the recipe because my keys are in my husband's car, which is miles away with him at work. Needless to say I had to make due with the ingredients that I had on hand because I didn't have buttermilk OR pumpkin pie spice.


Here is the recipe I used (Copied from Skinnytaste and changed with my substitutions.): For the original recipe click > Pumpkin Spice Cookies

  • 4 oz cream cheese, softened
  • 2 tbsp salted butter, softened (Original recipe calls for unsalted. Be sure to adjust salt elsewhere)
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (canned is fine)
  • 1/4 cup 1% buttermilk (Mix 1 cup 2% milk with 1 3/4 tsp cream of tartar. Then measure out 1/4 cup of mixture for recipe)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp pumpkin spice 
    • To make pumpkin pie spice mix 2 tsp ginger, 4 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp allspice, and 1 tsp nutmeg. This makes way more than what you need for this recipe.
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder

For the chocolate glaze:
  • 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1/2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tbsp 2% milk
  • 1/8 tsp vanilla extract
  • pinch of salt

Directions: 

Preheat oven to 350°.

In a medium bowl, whip cream cheese, butter and sugars together until light and fluffy. Next add egg; beat well. Stir in pumpkin, buttermilk mixture and vanilla.

Combine flour, spice, baking soda, salt and baking powder; gradually add to pumpkin mixture.

Bake 15 minutes or until golden. 

For the glaze: Whisk confectioners' sugar, cocoa powder, milk, vanilla and salt in a bowl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment