Thursday, February 2, 2012

Dutch Potatoes

This is one of my favorite things to make. To me, this is comfort food. It can be used as a side dish, or the main course. My grandparents used to make this quite often and there are many different renditions of the recipe. (I may make them in the next few weeks.) Granted it's not exactly the same because the produce they used was straight from their garden, but I think this is pretty good too. Originally it's made with uncooked butter lettuce and hand-cut diced bacon (from a block not strips). My modified version includes kale and kielbasa. Since my hubby is a carnivore, I needed to add more meat into the mixture. I certainly miss my grandma AND grandpa's cooking, but since one is no longer here and the other doesn't remember how to cook :( I must try to carry on the traditional foods that I grew up on. Soon, I will add more of their recipes that I have recently learned.

Recipe: Dutch Potatoes
Takes about 1 hour.
12 potatoes peeled and cut (about 7 cups)
4 hard boiled eggs diced
     Only use 1 or 2 yolks
1-2 cups Kale
4-5 tbsp mayo (to make it more creamy, add more mayo)
3 tbsp yellow mustard
1/2 - 1 tbsp white vinegar (I used 1tbsp because I prefer it to taste tangy)
1 (13oz) package Hillshire Farm Beef Lil' Smokies cut into thirds OR 1/2 kielbasa rope sausage cubed

Boil the potatoes as if you were just going to make mashed potatoes. I usually toss the eggs in with the potatoes to cook.
Boil or steam the kale. Once cooked, you will have about 1/2 the volume of what you started with.
In a skillet, cook the Lil' Smokies until some get the "grilled crust" on them. Drain on newspaper or paper towel.

When everything is done cooking and drained, mash the potatoes with mayo, mustard, and vinegar. Then add the kale and mash again. Last, add the eggs and Lil' Smokies, and do NOT mash or the eggs will disappear into the mixture. Simply fold the eggs and meat in with a spoon. THAT'S IT!



No comments:

Post a Comment