Friday, February 10, 2012

Paper Roll Craft

I actually, successfully, made a craft I found on Pinterest! ::gasp:: I'm just as shocked as you are. After browsing Pinterest and longing to have a house that I can do what I want with, I came back to reality and realized that I better start finding things to better my small, homey apartment. Although pinning that amazing fire pit, fantastic kitchen with tons of storage and a gas stove, innovative large house additions, and that oh so cute nursery (no, so don't bother asking). I decided to re-visit the boards on which I had compiled things I previously "liked". I began collecting toilet paper rolls right after I found this craft and have since been battling the bag in the hall closet. The one hundredth time it fell out of the closet must have been today. Since it was a wonderfully warm California day, I decided to sit on my un-pinterested balcony and get the craft crafted.

Here is the original.

Here is what I did and what you will need:
18 toilet paper rolls
Elmer's Glue-All Multi-Purpose Glue
Scissors
Black Spray Paint
Wax paper

1. Mark the rolls at 1 inch intervals. Luckily, my rolls were exactly 4 inches long. (Except the one I took a picture of.)

2. Fold (squish) the roll, preferably where you made the marks.

3. Cut along your marks.

4. Once you have all of the pieces cut, lay out wax paper. If you do it on regular paper, the glue will stick and then you have to cut your project away from the paper. Then lay out your design.

5. Glue where the pieces are touching. You may want to use clothes pins to hold the pieces together after putting them together. I didn't do this, but they seemed to stay just fine.

6. Wait 30 minutes to an hour, depending on what glue you used. Make sure you wait for the glue to dry before picking it up. Lay new wax paper before spray painting. (I used the same paper and didn't wait for the glue to completely finish drying and now I have to trim painted glue chunks from my piece.)

7. Spray paint, in a well ventilated area! Be sure to spray both sides. You will need more than 1 coat. 


8. Ta-da! I used a total of 72 pieces. It is almost 3 feet by 1 foot.


Since I'm not completely sure where I wanted to hang it, I had my hubby hold it up so you could see the finished piece clearly. 

What I learned: 
Next time I will do this on a table instead of the floor. My legs are killing me! 
Matte spray paint worked as a base coat, but I will be adding a black glossy coat. 
Toilet paper rolls have a swirl mark similar to how a package of crescent rolls opens. Try not to use those pieces since they do not have a smooth finish. 

Until the next craft...

No comments:

Post a Comment