Monday, January 23, 2012

Finding the Perfect Curry

I found a wonderful recipe for Curry chicken a few months ago while I was searching for something different to make for dinner. Since I had never made curry before I assumed that most supermarket brand curry powders were the same: I was soon proven horribly wrong. As I browsed the aisles of Ralphs, I came upon a small tin of "curry powder". Excited to try it, I bought it, went home, looked up a recipe, and started whisking away at the ingredients in the pan. As most cooks do, I tried it. I nearly gagged. It was sooooo bitter tasting. This did not taste like the curry powder that my grandmother or mother used. Set on finding the perfect curry powder, I inspected both of their pantries. For weeks I scoured the grocery stores, to no avail. I had given up on finding this illusive powder. THEN while shopping for ingredients for a new steak marinade, I came across a new curry powder. This was THE powder and it was half the price of the previous one I purchased. So, here is the recipe.

Curry Sauce- Unfortunately the link to where I found the recipe is no longer available.
In a small sauce pan, whisk together the following:
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp curry - I used Sadaf Curry Powder Mild (the original recipe called for 1/4 tsp, but it was not "curry" enough for our liking)
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup milk (you can also use coconut milk)

Cook on low to medium heat until sauce thickens. Stir often or the milk will burn to the bottom of your pan.

I put it over basmati rice, chicken breast, potatoes, and carrots.





No comments:

Post a Comment