Thursday, January 26, 2012

Not So Stuffed Peppers

If my memory serves me correctly, stuffed peppers was the first "real" recipe that I made. About eight to ten years ago my Spanish teacher gave us an assignment to make a Spanish themed dish, take pictures, etc. etc. Granted, I made a different dish (chimichangas) for the project, I discovered this recipe while I was researching. Still bearing the scar on my wrist from the oven burn I received when I removed the tray, I enjoy making and eating this wonderfully delicious dish. The first time I made this I followed the recipe to a tee, which I no longer have written but committed to memory. After everyone was finished eating, I noticed something: half of all of the bell peppers were left on the plate. "It's too much pepper," was the response I received. Which brings me to my 'Not So Stuffed Peppers' recipe. This casserole version is much easier to make, requires less peppers, and less pepper waste.
Writing this recipe was difficult, since I usually make this dish by sight/taste. Here goes...

Not So Stuffed Peppers:
Total prep and cooking time is about 1 hour. You can make the sauce/meat portion prior. Then just mix in the rice and bake.
2 cups cooked white rice
2-3 green bell peppers sliced (about 1-2 inches)
ground beef of turkey (I used about 3/4 cup cooked ground beef. If you really like meat, add more.)
1/2 tbsp minced onion
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp thyme
OR in lieu of basil, oregano, thyme use apx. 1- 1 1/2 tsp italian seasoning
1/4 tsp salt
1 can (14.5 oz) peeled diced tomatoes
1 1/2 cans (14.5 oz) tomato sauce (I used 3/4 of a 29 oz can.)
1 tbsp brown sugar (reduces the acidity of the tomatoes)
1/4 cup mexican style cheese blend.

1. Cook the white rice. Remember 2 cups water for every 1 cup of rice. Luckily, I have a rice cooker so I don't have to watch it too closely. Set aside.
2. Slice the bell peppers. Lay the sliced peppers in a 9x13 baking dish and add a little olive oil. Remember to grease the pan. Bake at 375 for about 10-15 minutes. Uncooked peppers can add a bitter taste to the casserole. See picture below.
3. In a skillet, brown ground beef with minced onion, basil, oregano, thyme, and/or italian seasoning, and salt.
4. Once ground beef is done, add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and brown sugar. Simmer for about 15 minutes.
5. Mix tomato sauce mixture with the white rice. Spread over cooked peppers. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 375 for about 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted. If you want to bake it longer, cover with foil so it doesn't dry out.

I ended up adding an additional 1/4 tsp of italian seasoning because it didn't quite taste right. :)






No comments:

Post a Comment